Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why Doesn't She EVER Update and other Random info.

Well, the reason this blog has only three posts is...
a) I make excuses
b) I procrastinate
c) my email has an insane password that I have to look for in order to update (see a/b)
d) I know I would want to see pictures but this blog takes forever to load them (see a/b)
e) And then I have to add captions to those photos (see a/b)
f) lets just go through the whole alphabet why don't we?

Other Random info.

Though I do plan to add entries about how the door handles work, what Germans eat, and Germany in general.. I find it more important to cover another area of living abroad that I don't recall being informed about ahead of time:

                                      You have good days and bad days abroad.

While it is supposed to be vacation and fun it is also hard for your body (at least mine anyway) to process being so out of its comfort zone. I am now seriously annoyed with my education that has taught me how to be bored and feel "smart". It's awkward to know how ignorant and unprepared I really am in my new surroundings.  Today's events are a good example of this realization. I woke up extra early (6:30 am) to help a coworker restock the coffee shop that my church here runs. The store was like a Sam's Club but it was still new to me because it was German. So being up early, seeing that new sight, and carrying all the stuff into the coffee shop already had me worn out mentally and physically. For the average German citizen it is all in a day's work, but as an American almost everything is new and that takes it's toll eventually whether I want it to or not.  I then went with one of my new friend's from the church and her one-year-old daughter to a casual class for foreigners learning German. I would say 5 out of the 15 people there spoke English. Its already intimidating enough to be the new fish but I think it might be more awkward for an American. This is because I am so used to people speaking English and knowing "my" language. It's still a bit of a shock when I switch from German (which still could use improvement) to English and people still don't understand me. So being surrounded by all the new women from at least 5 other cultures was already a big new thing and not knowing how to talk to them was another strange new thing. I was feeling the wear a bit but it wasn't overwhelming. Well, my friend's little baby was fully of energy and crawled to the door where the polish woman from the class was making a phone call outside. I noticed the woman was about to come in and didn't notice the baby so I tried to get her to walk away from the door. This was actually another thing out of my comfort zone since I am not used to children. The woman opened the door and the baby fell and hit her toe nail off on the door. I wasn't sure if what I had done helped the baby hurt her toe so I instantly felt horrible when she started crying loudly. The baby continued crying and I found that I wanted to be her age so I could cry too. It was just one thing too many and it didn't help that she had to go to the hospital because of it. In the end I did cry. I really really REALLY tried not to but it was just one thing too many for the day. So the my poor friend had to deal with me and her baby crying.. It didn't make it better that most of the other women probably noticed the two of us getting upset. One of the few things that made me better (and this is very selfish) is that the polish woman was in the same situation as me. She was a newcomer who didn't know how to speak German or English well. So I spent some of my time telling her that it was okay before I cried everywhere... I wouldn't be surprised if she went home and did the same.
So kids, I've come to accept crying more frequently as part of my being in Germany BUT it has it's especially good days too. For example, hanging out with Germans who knew as much English as I do German was really fun yesterday. The city is beautiful. German is a fun language to learn. There are many, many good things which  I will write about in other posts. 
The important thing is that school taught me nothing important, there are good days and bad days even on "vacation" and crying is okay in a foreign country because it doesn't mean you are weak it just means the day had so many new things that they never taught you about in school (or that's what I tell myself anyway).  I really hope that this is helpful for someone in or going to a new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment